One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fierce written attack on someone or their work.‘she does hatchet jobs, not reviews’
savage, attack, lambaste, condemn, criticize severely, flay, shoot down, pillory, revileView synonyms
- ‘Lucy's desire to write a book is buffered by the total hatchet job she does on her husband and friends.’
- ‘During that bout, he did a hatchet job book on C.S. Lewis, wrote any number of inane diatribes against theism in general and Christianity in particular.’
- ‘The score and dialogue suffer from the usual hatchet job on the highs and lows, leaving the music sounding a bit on the harsh side.’
- ‘I hesitate even to call it a review - hatchet job is more like it.’
- ‘His tirade in today's Herald Sun was a complete hatchet job on him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.