One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fierce written attack on someone or their work.‘she does hatchet jobs, not reviews’
savage, attack, lambaste, condemn, criticize severely, flay, shoot down, pillory, revileView synonyms
- ‘Lucy's desire to write a book is buffered by the total hatchet job she does on her husband and friends.’
- ‘The score and dialogue suffer from the usual hatchet job on the highs and lows, leaving the music sounding a bit on the harsh side.’
- ‘I hesitate even to call it a review - hatchet job is more like it.’
- ‘His tirade in today's Herald Sun was a complete hatchet job on him.’
- ‘During that bout, he did a hatchet job book on C.S. Lewis, wrote any number of inane diatribes against theism in general and Christianity in particular.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.