One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A car with a door across the full width at the back end that opens upwards to provide easy access for loading.
- ‘Why aren't more different types of cars - namely hatchbacks, wagons and microcars - more readily available in the U.S.?’
- ‘People bemoaned the looks of hatchbacks because they didn't look like a regular four door sedan, causing the decline of the image of cars because of their most useful feature.’
- ‘Sporty hatchbacks, coupes and saloons would be tearfully exchanged for the bigger, sensible and practical but dull to drive estates.’
- ‘Many of the front lawns had been tarmacked over to provide parking space for an assortment of hatchbacks and small saloons of varying age and condition.’
- ‘The company says it is a crossover between a hatchback and a station wagon.’
- ‘The design is ageing and the interior plasticky, but this is the most fun and rewarding to drive of all these small, sporty hatchbacks.’
- ‘With its hatchback opening, the boot is easily accessible and very roomy.’
- ‘The two companies are planning a full range of new models, including hatchbacks, saloons and sports cars.’
- ‘They were quiet homes - mainly lived in by retired couples - with uncluttered rectangular gardens dominated by neatly cut lawns out front and polished cars on the drive; Japanese saloons and German hatchbacks.’
- ‘The results include one of the most spacious and comfortable five-door family hatchbacks on the road today, a stylish and sporty three-door and a highly elegant coupe.’
- ‘It is expected to sell well in Ireland, where, unusually in Europe, saloons outsell hatchbacks in the small car segment.’
- ‘After all, if five seats are sufficient, why not just buy a regular hatchback / estate car?’
- ‘The big hatchback provides excellent luggage space and the rear seats are split for carrying awkward loads.’
- ‘It was made available as a hatchback with an option of three doors or five doors.’
- ‘Apart from these sedans, there are also hatchbacks or mini multipurpose vehicles with engine capacities of up to 1,500 cc.’
- ‘Also avoid putting it unsecured in the boot of a hatchback or estate car, as the carrier will be thrown around in a crash.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.