One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large cylindrical box used to protect a hat when being transported or stored.
- ‘Inside, brutalist walls made of concrete terrazzo effectively highlight the intricate craftsmanship of works ranging from 18 th-century needlework to 19 th-century hand-painted hatboxes.’
- ‘Hide them in plain sight in fabric-covered hatboxes or file boxes.’
- ‘Even though I've bought the MINIMUM of luggage for these two weeks I still have to apologise anytime someone trips over a hatbox or two.’
- ‘On the floor beside the washstand is an English-made leather gentleman's hatbox dating from about 1830 to 1850.’
- ‘As promised, three trunks, several hatboxes, and a few normal-sized suitcases had been carefully placed in the center, Amy already working at the task of freeing those pretties and lovelies that rested within.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.