One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman employed to keep charge of hats, coats, and other items deposited for temporary safekeeping in a cloakroom.‘at the shipboard venue, the hat-check girls are waiting for you as you come off the speedboat’
- ‘He accepts the invitation, partly at the insistence of his spoiled wife, a former hatcheck girl, partly to profit from meeting the mighty Brit.’
- ‘The hatcheck girl still speaks with a comforting French accent, and the desserts are still perambulated to and fro on a dessert cart.’
- ‘He invites a hatcheck girl to his house one night to tell her the details of a book he's been hired to adapt for the screen.’
- ‘When he meets the hatcheck girl, he tells her he likes fast cars, movies, whisky, and her.’
- ‘Sporadic TV parts followed, supplemented by an evening job as a hatcheck girl, until she landed a lead role in the 1996 drama.’
- ‘In Paris, he picks up a scatterbrained French hatcheck girl with artistic pretensions, and is followed at an unsafe distance by the accident-prone Inspector Fix.’
- ‘She made her debut as a hatcheck girl in Manpower and in the same year appeared in Dive Bomber opposite Errol Flynn.’
- ‘She told her rags-to-riches story of having been raised in an orphanage, working as a hatcheck girl and waitress to get through college.’
- ‘It wasn't long before the hatcheck girl became a lead singer and signed to a recording contract.’
- ‘The only thing that excites this former hatcheck girl is social climbing, which she does with unfailing ineptitude.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.