One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An autoimmune disease causing chronic inflammation and consequential failure of the thyroid gland.
- ‘She should also rule out an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's disease, which blocks the release of thyroid hormones, and a pituitary gland problem, because both disorders have symptoms that resemble hypothyroidism.’
- ‘Deborah Doniach was part of a ground-breaking team that showed that Hashimoto's disease of the thyroid was caused by autoimmunity.’
- ‘In the hypothyroidism of Hashimoto's disease there is autoimmune destruction of thyroid follicular cells, leading to underproduction of the hormones and eventually to thyroid failure.’
- ‘In Hashimoto's, antibodies react against proteins in the thyroid gland, causing gradual destruction of the gland itself, and making the gland unable to produce the thyroid hormones the body needs.’
- ‘She was also diagnosed with major depressive disorder, type II diabetes and early stage Hashimoto's disease (a thyroid disorder).’
1930s: named after Hakaru Hashimoto (1881–1934), Japanese surgeon.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.