One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounNorth American
A dish of chopped cooked potatoes, typically with onions added, fried until brown.
- ‘Whether you're making our potato pancakes or old-fashioned hash browns, one of the keys is to shred the spuds to the right consistency.’
- ‘I took my time eating a breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, hash browns, salads, sandwiches, toasts and other stuff.’
- ‘But some soldiers demand their daily bacon, eggs and hash browns because they need those calories and don't gain weight on that diet.’
- ‘I opted for the typical American breakfast of eggs, beef bacon, hashed browns, pancakes, and coffee.’
- ‘Let hash browns cook for the full time called for in the recipe before turning so they'll develop a nice brown crust (peek after about 4 minutes to make sure they don't burn).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.