Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
plural nounNorth american
A dish of chopped cooked potatoes, typically with onions added, fried until brown.
- ‘I took my time eating a breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, hash browns, salads, sandwiches, toasts and other stuff.’
- ‘But some soldiers demand their daily bacon, eggs and hash browns because they need those calories and don't gain weight on that diet.’
- ‘Let hash browns cook for the full time called for in the recipe before turning so they'll develop a nice brown crust (peek after about 4 minutes to make sure they don't burn).’
- ‘I opted for the typical American breakfast of eggs, beef bacon, hashed browns, pancakes, and coffee.’
- ‘Whether you're making our potato pancakes or old-fashioned hash browns, one of the keys is to shred the spuds to the right consistency.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.