One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or thing considered to be outmoded or no longer of any significance.‘a political has-been’
failure, non-achiever, underachiever, ne'er-do-well, born loser, dead loss, nonentity, nobodyView synonyms
- ‘While many solo acts from the '80s are one-hit wonders and has-beens, Finn clearly breaks the mold.’
- ‘The show, which begins tomorrow and features the traditional line-up of has-beens and never-weres, is nonetheless set to attract a massive audience.’
- ‘He was the one genuine watchable talent in a particularly gruesome collection of minor career-boosting has-beens and wannabe-agains.’
- ‘The Labour backbenches are now stuffed with the disappointed, the thwarted, the fired, the has-beens and those that were never likely to amount to anything in the first place.’
- ‘Other housemates evoke the ghosts of yesterday's popular culture, as the has-beens who populate reality TV tend to do.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.