One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A minute mite whose parasitic larvae live on or under the skin of warm-blooded animals where they cause irritation and dermatitis, and sometimes transmit scrub typhus.
- ‘Chigger bites are caused by the harvest mite or red bug, which commonly is found in grasslands of the southeastern United States.’
- ‘The scientific name for chiggers is Trombicula mites, and they are also known as harvest mites.’
- ‘Chiggers, the larvae of harvest mites, transmit the organism that causes scrub typhus.’
- ‘Due to the soil in this area, harvest mite infestations are a particular problem locally.’
- ‘Insecticides licensed for on-animal flea control will effectively kill harvest mites provided that they reach the skin and not just the fur.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.