One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Omphilomancy is divination by contemplating the navel, while haruspicy makes use of the entrails of animals to predict what is in store for us.’
- ‘The Roman Senate also held haruspicy in the highest regard and consulted haruspices before all important state decisions.’
- ‘The Etruscans were credited with bringing haruspicy to Rome.’
- ‘The Romans adopted the Etruscan art of haruspicy as one of their ‘unofficial’ forms of divination.’
- ‘Ellis argues that geese were not sacred to Juno; they were used for haruspicy and later chickens were substituted for them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.