One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very large crested eagle of tropical rainforests, often preying on monkeys.
- ‘The most powerful bird of prey on Earth, the harpy eagle, weighs up to 20 pounds (nine kilograms), has a seven-foot wing span, and is armed with talons as big as grizzly bear claws.’
- ‘Although both areas have a similar climate and shared original native fauna, Barro Colorado Island lost its top predators - jaguars, pumas, and harpy eagles - after construction of the Panama Canal cut it off from the mainland.’
- ‘Something about the openness of the country must conduce to largeness: this is the territory of giant anteaters and giant river otters, 20-foot-long caimans and large harpy eagles soaring overhead.’
- ‘The parklands are home to some of the last remaining stretches of the species-abundant Atlantic rain forest and many creatures on the ‘threatened’ list like the giant otter, Brazilian jaguar and harpy eagle.’
- ‘Enjoy an evening with cinematographer Neil Rettig and his amazing film featuring the harpy eagle from the rain forests of South America.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.