One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The separate part of a Muslim household reserved for wives, concubines, and female servants; a harem.
women's quartersView synonyms
- ‘In the Turkish two-story house the haremlik is often on the ground floor protected by a hall.’
- ‘In a humble home with two rooms, the rear room is the haremlik.’
- ‘If the haremlik's windows faced the street, they were barred thickly with wooden bars.’
- ‘Even policemen or other officials may not enter the haremlik.’
- ‘Many modern visitors have seen the splendour of the haremliks of Istanbul or Teheran.’
Turkish, from harem + -lik ‘place’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.