One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A perennial plant which can survive in open ground all year.
- ‘Fennel is a beautiful, delicate, fernlike plant that is really a hardy perennial.’
- ‘As soon as the snow melts (and sometimes even earlier) these hardy perennials spring into action.’
- ‘Even hardy perennials, trees, and shrubs cannot tolerate completely frozen roots.’
- ‘Most plants that grow during the very short growing season are hardy perennials, such as grasses.’
- ‘Columbines are a very hardy perennial and will thrive in all zones in the United States, as well as in temperate areas in other parts of the world.’
2British informal A thing that recurs continually or at regular intervals.‘quiz shows, those hardy perennials of TV and radio’
- ‘This week we're only in it for the money, or the car, or whatever we can get really, because this edition of The Media Report is all about quiz shows, those hardy perennials of TV and radio.’
- ‘This topic has become a hardy perennial amongst the Boyz, and has generated much heated commentary.’
- ‘All of this brings us back to the hardy perennials of presidential politics: personality, electability and life history.’
- ‘Take Fred Zinnemann's High Noon, which is a hardy perennial of film appreciation courses - and rightly so.’
- ‘There is also that hardy perennial of Labour's own selection battles, and McLeish is going to have to handle some unpleasant skirmishes in the run-up to May 2003.’
- ‘It's a bit like under the last years of John Major and the hardy perennial - New Tory split on Europe’
- ‘One thing that the Olympics have always provided is that hardy perennial known as the ‘feel-good story.’’
- ‘One of the hardy perennials of political theory asks how, if at all, one might justify the inequality of wealth and opportunity that is so manifest in society.’
- ‘It is true that republican sentiment is a hardy perennial as well.’
- ‘Another hardy perennial of imperial economic history, which must be significantly modified by this work, is the concept of ‘informal empire.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.