One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shop selling tools, implements, and other items used in home life and activities such as gardening.‘simply screw in some little hooks (you can get these from hardware shops)’
- ‘He soon added a bar to his grocery and then a hardware shop.’
- ‘Scrub rusty grates with wire wool and give cast-iron surrounds a gloss with grate polish, available from hardware shops.’
- ‘I use a little six-inch steel ruler I bought from the hardware shop for about $6.00.’
- ‘It had been delivered from a well-known hardware shop.’
- ‘It was the site of the massive foundry ironworks and hardware shop.’
- ‘I worked as an assistant in Molloy's hardware shop.’
- ‘Ants and insects including silverfish, woolly bears, and earwigs can be tackled with products from hardware shops.’
- ‘The owner of the hardware shop had worked there for 45 years.’
- ‘They were laughing along the high street when a hardware shop caught her eye.’
- ‘My family came from a farming background, but I used to run a hardware shop in a small town.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.