One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
courage, courageousness, pluck, pluckiness, braveness, valour, fearlessness, intrepidity, intrepidness, nerve, daring, audacity, boldness, dauntlessness, doughtiness, stout-heartedness, manfulness, heroism, gallantryView synonyms
- ‘And be it known to you, that no man there was of such hardihood but his flesh trembled: and it was no wonder, for never was so great an enterprise undertaken by any people since the creation of the world.’
- ‘Few nations have ever existed, who have evinced more indomitable courage or hardihood, or shown more devotion to the spirit of independence than the Iroquois.’
- ‘Similarly, this finding leaves open the possibility that female characters expressed heroism in ways not entailing physical hardihood or risk.’
- ‘Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity and hardihood - the virtues that made America.’
- ‘He was not only a very dexterous thief, but was notorious for his boldness and hardihood, and for the number of his previous convictions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.