Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Highly amplified rock music with a heavy beat.
- ‘I wasn't into hard rock or heavy metal at all, as I found it annoying.’
- ‘He knows hard rock can't fully outrun cliche, which means the Donnas can't either.’
- ‘It's a record that liberates your mind and sets a new bar for hard rock.’
- ‘Listen to all three of her released albums and you'll hear folk, jazz, hard rock, even a Spanish love song.’
- ‘They may be more of a modern rock band now, but they're still far better than what passes for hard rock on the radio these days.’
- ‘Around me, hard rock and heavy metal and elaborate rap music mixed and blared into one loud noise in these streets.’
- ‘Radio-friendly hard rock doesn't always have to suck, but Nural aren't going to prove that to anyone.’
- ‘And while they play a bit of funky hard rock, the band threw in a old-school punk song that warmed up the audience.’
- ‘The songs may be old-fashioned hard rock, but producer Steve Albini has polished them to a bright shine.’
- ‘There are indeed shades of grunge and emo, but there's also pop-punk, ska, even hard rock.’
- ‘The four men of DIY Band are not young kids playing hard rock with heavy make-up.’
- ‘Allwyn Fernandes has all bases covered from hard rock and metal to jazz.’
- ‘Are these guys supposed to be destroying rock 'n' roll or playing hard rock like the New York Dolls?’
- ‘Lynott, the black man, was an anomaly in the Waspish world of hard rock.’
- ‘Somehow, the band manages to keep its furious mix of polka, punk, klezmer, hard rock and free jazz in sync.’
- ‘What Simple Plan is to punk, so Incubus is to hard rock: a distant cousin that is more popular than the original.’
- ‘True heavy metal, as distinguished from hard rock, has always had a prominent element of classical music.’
- ‘The sound planning and design make sure that the music, whether hard rock or pop, does not overwhelm any conversation.’
- ‘Still, there were a lot of people jamming out to various types of hard rock / heavy metal.’
- ‘The result is reserved, predictable hard rock that never gets out of first gear when it should be in overdrive.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.