Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Highly amplified rock music with a heavy beat.
- ‘The sound planning and design make sure that the music, whether hard rock or pop, does not overwhelm any conversation.’
- ‘Are these guys supposed to be destroying rock 'n' roll or playing hard rock like the New York Dolls?’
- ‘Somehow, the band manages to keep its furious mix of polka, punk, klezmer, hard rock and free jazz in sync.’
- ‘Around me, hard rock and heavy metal and elaborate rap music mixed and blared into one loud noise in these streets.’
- ‘It's a record that liberates your mind and sets a new bar for hard rock.’
- ‘The four men of DIY Band are not young kids playing hard rock with heavy make-up.’
- ‘And while they play a bit of funky hard rock, the band threw in a old-school punk song that warmed up the audience.’
- ‘Radio-friendly hard rock doesn't always have to suck, but Nural aren't going to prove that to anyone.’
- ‘The songs may be old-fashioned hard rock, but producer Steve Albini has polished them to a bright shine.’
- ‘I wasn't into hard rock or heavy metal at all, as I found it annoying.’
- ‘Still, there were a lot of people jamming out to various types of hard rock / heavy metal.’
- ‘He knows hard rock can't fully outrun cliche, which means the Donnas can't either.’
- ‘What Simple Plan is to punk, so Incubus is to hard rock: a distant cousin that is more popular than the original.’
- ‘They may be more of a modern rock band now, but they're still far better than what passes for hard rock on the radio these days.’
- ‘The result is reserved, predictable hard rock that never gets out of first gear when it should be in overdrive.’
- ‘There are indeed shades of grunge and emo, but there's also pop-punk, ska, even hard rock.’
- ‘True heavy metal, as distinguished from hard rock, has always had a prominent element of classical music.’
- ‘Listen to all three of her released albums and you'll hear folk, jazz, hard rock, even a Spanish love song.’
- ‘Allwyn Fernandes has all bases covered from hard rock and metal to jazz.’
- ‘Lynott, the black man, was an anomaly in the Waspish world of hard rock.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.