One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Badly affected.‘Trinidad had been hard hit by falling oil prices’
- ‘Agricultural land is being snapped up by investors, often wealthy farmers from the north of Ireland who have not been as hard hit by beef bans and food scares.’
- ‘Small businesses are particularly hard hit because they cannot negotiate discounts like big companies.’
- ‘Millions of manufacturing jobs have been lost in this country but now the service industry is also being hard hit.’
- ‘The company had been hard hit by rising steel and oil costs, and was struggling to raise prices for its products.’
- ‘The tourism and entertainment industries have been hard hit by the falloff in air travel.’
- ‘Louisiana towns just east of the Texas border were particularly hard hit by the storm surges and flooding.’
- ‘Some have been hard hit by major retail and out-of-town superstores.’
- ‘The cotton, tobacco and beef industries were particularly hard hit.’
- ‘But York was hard hit by the floods of a year ago, and many small business are still struggling to recover.’
- ‘Food and drink, tourism and manufacturing have been particularly hard hit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.