One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Badly affected.‘Trinidad had been hard hit by falling oil prices’
- ‘The cotton, tobacco and beef industries were particularly hard hit.’
- ‘But York was hard hit by the floods of a year ago, and many small business are still struggling to recover.’
- ‘The tourism and entertainment industries have been hard hit by the falloff in air travel.’
- ‘Agricultural land is being snapped up by investors, often wealthy farmers from the north of Ireland who have not been as hard hit by beef bans and food scares.’
- ‘The company had been hard hit by rising steel and oil costs, and was struggling to raise prices for its products.’
- ‘Some have been hard hit by major retail and out-of-town superstores.’
- ‘Millions of manufacturing jobs have been lost in this country but now the service industry is also being hard hit.’
- ‘Food and drink, tourism and manufacturing have been particularly hard hit.’
- ‘Small businesses are particularly hard hit because they cannot negotiate discounts like big companies.’
- ‘Louisiana towns just east of the Texas border were particularly hard hit by the storm surges and flooding.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.