One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Close to.‘he lived hard by the cathedral’
close to, right by, close by, beside, near, near to, nearby, not far from, a short distance from, a step away from, a stone's throw from, on the doorstep of, in the vicinity of, in the neighbourhood of, round the corner from, within easy reach of, adjacent toView synonyms
- ‘We lived hard by the factory and our windows gave on the factory yard.’
- ‘The balloting took place in Westminster's Church House, hard by the House of Commons.’
- ‘Here's a picture of my sunny destination - Tavira, hard by the Spanish border.’
- ‘The undertaking establishment was on the Brompton Road hard by the chapel and nearby Trevor Square.’
- ‘While I was there I went up around noon to a small church hard by the large harbour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.