One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fees payable in return for permission to moor a boat at a particular harbour.‘harbour dues must be paid for any boat using the harbour’
- ‘They should ensure all harbour dues are paid up to date in order to qualify to make nominations for election to the Harbour Board.’
- ‘We have individually and collectively been asking the minister to drop these charges and to address issues of harbour dues and maintenance realistically.’
- ‘The merchant was held responsible for the payment of all tariffs and harbour dues.’
- ‘The minimum period for which you can pay harbour dues is one month.’
- ‘Harbour dues from visiting liners are credited to the miscellaneous piers and harbours account.’
- ‘If you move down to another harbour, you have harbour dues to pay for.’
- ‘He lived quietly in the vessel for several years until the authorities decided that in addition to harbour dues he should pay rates.’
- ‘If the matter is not resolved, the ports stand to lose out on millions in harbour dues.’
- ‘The fishermen pay their licences and harbour dues and employ people on shore as a result of what they do.’
- ‘In return for paying the church tax, the fishermen were exempted from paying harbour dues to the local port authorities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.