One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the sense of touch, in particular relating to the perception and manipulation of objects using the senses of touch and proprioception.‘haptic feedback devices create the illusion of substance and force within the virtual world’
- ‘It is already possible today for researchers to exchange haptic stimuli over the Internet to simulate handshakes.’
- ‘Qubits, foglets, gigaflops, haptic interfaces, probabilistic fractals: Kurzweil is not writing science for sissies.’
- ‘For Ford, we are running human perception studies to learn how to create harmony in haptic interfaces in a car.’
- ‘The use of haptic devices allows users to ‘touch’ the virtual objects and even move them through gesture interface and 3D sound cues.’
- ‘A demo participant from Microsoft showed a haptic device for playing Jenga online.’
- ‘A collaborative virtual workspace is tricked out with haptic feedback’
- ‘A haptic pointing device includes a plurality of rigid, elongated proximal members, each connected to a separate rigid, elongated distal member through an articulating joint.’
- ‘Adds White: ‘People can then play with the 3D object and even feel it through a special haptic mouse.’’
- ‘You're saying it has some kind of haptic sensitivity or touch that you can actually develop skills in your fingers.’
- ‘Gone are features such as the haptic sensor and slide down keyboard.’
- ‘The existence of behavioral chains indicates that olfactory or haptic cues are important to primates, but such hypotheses must eventually be tested by careful direct observation in the field or laboratory.’
- ‘The haptic shift device includes a shift lever manipulatable by a user.’
- ‘All these instruments give and require haptic feedback - music is a physical universe and the only way through it is for the improviser to engage in an endless assortment of empirical tests.’
- ‘Immersion's haptic technology first appeared in a PC joystick in 1996, and with Microsoft the company developed the DirectX force feedback API.’
- ‘Before you decide we've lost our head over MyDevice, we'll come on to the weakest link among MyOrigo's four UI components: haptic feedback.’
- ‘Some animals, but not all, have a sense of what's called haptic touch, humans have it, chimpanzees have it.’
- ‘Some virtual worlds provide auditory and haptic information.’
- ‘There is haptic feedback; when virtual keys are pressed, the screen vibrates in response.’
- ‘In February 2002, US-based Immersion filed a lawsuit against Microsoft and Sony for patent-infringement, for use of its haptic, or touch, technology.’
- ‘Touch already has made it into the market, with haptic controls to scroll through system menus.’
Late 19th century: from Greek haptikos ‘able to touch or grasp’, from haptein ‘fasten’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.