One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
By any chance; perhaps.‘great fear and passion shook my heart lest haply thou wert dead’
maybe, for all i know, for all you know, it could be, it could be that, it may be, it may be that, it is possible, it is possible that, possibly, conceivably, feasiblyView synonyms
- ‘We have indeed made clear for you the signs, that haply you will understand.’
- ‘He must cease to seek occasions of quarrelling, lest, haply, the common enemy should come suddenly and finding him fighting with his neighbour, should have an easy victory over both.’
- ‘He would dig a pit with Little John and Much, and hide it up with branches and earth, so that Master Carfax might stray into it and haply break his neck.’
- ‘He explained, in all good humour, that he refrained from taking the title assumed by his father lest haply he should besmirch it.’
- ‘Search every cave with utmost care If haply Rama's queen be there.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.