Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
By any chance; perhaps.‘great fear and passion shook my heart lest haply thou wert dead’
maybe, for all i know, for all you know, possibly, conceivably, feasiblyView synonyms
- ‘We have indeed made clear for you the signs, that haply you will understand.’
- ‘He must cease to seek occasions of quarrelling, lest, haply, the common enemy should come suddenly and finding him fighting with his neighbour, should have an easy victory over both.’
- ‘He explained, in all good humour, that he refrained from taking the title assumed by his father lest haply he should besmirch it.’
- ‘He would dig a pit with Little John and Much, and hide it up with branches and earth, so that Master Carfax might stray into it and haply break his neck.’
- ‘Search every cave with utmost care If haply Rama's queen be there.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.