Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a cell or nucleus) having a single set of unpaired chromosomes.Compare with diploid
- ‘Each basidiospore contains a recombinant haploid nucleus, the product of meiosis.’
- ‘Two of them are seen in a single haploid nucleus.’
- ‘The computer keeps track of each mutation's position and deleterious effect on a single haploid chromosome for each individual.’
- ‘The FB-MOs, mitochondria, and haploid nuclei all segregate into budding spermatids and eventually occupy most of the cytoplasmic space.’
- ‘The number of linkage groups resolved agrees well with the cytologically determined haploid chromosome number of 21.’
- 1.1(of an organism or part) composed of haploid cells.‘in mosses, the conspicuous leafy structures are haploid’
- ‘Due to the colchicine-induced or spontaneous process of chromosome doubling that takes place during the early stages of embryo development, fertile double haploid plants can be easily regenerated within a short period of time.’
- ‘We conclude that Dempster's 1955 discrete-time model is irrelevant to the vast majority of haploid species subject to density-dependent population regulation.’
- ‘Most of the remaining plants regenerated are sterile haploid plants while a few partially sterile plants could be polyploid or aneuploid.’
- ‘They differ from the ‘green algae’ in that the young sporophyte - or diploid plant - begins its development within the tissues of its parent gametophyte - or haploid plant.’
- ‘Two of the haploid plants generated from Fuyu 3xWMR 29 crosses were susceptible to races 1, 6, and 7.’
A haploid organism or cell.
- ‘The next two sections illustrate how to do this by carrying out the calculations for autosomal genes in dioecious haploids and for autosomal, sex-linked, and cytoplasmic genes in diploids.’
- ‘The number of recombinants and total cells for haploids was corrected to reflect the entire culture.’
- ‘This is likely to be the null phenotype for pob3 mutants since we observed a similar accumulation of cells after germination of haploids carrying a deletion of POB3.’
- ‘Meiosis is the program used by sexually reproducing organisms to produce haploids from diploid precursors.’
- ‘First, tetraploids continue to bud in stationary phase, whereas haploids arrest as unbudded cells.’
Early 20th century: from Greek haploos single + -oid.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.