One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The inadvertent omission of a repeated letter or letters in writing (e.g. writing philogy for philology).
leaving out, exclusion, exception, non-inclusion, deletion, erasure, cut, excision, elimination, absenceView synonyms
- ‘Some scholars think that the ‘Book of Jashar’ in Josh 10: 13 is an example of haplography, or scribal error.’
- ‘In contrast to this, it may in fact be a case of haplography where ‘Jesus’ has been omitted.’
- ‘There are mistakes of the visual type, such as haplography and dittography.’
- ‘Examples of the second type are treatments on dittography, haplography, harmonization, and itacisms.’
- ‘The omission referred to as haplography occurs when text is missing owing to lines which have a similar ending in a manuscript.’
Late 19th century: from Greek haploos ‘single’ + -graphy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.