One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or possessing a genetic system in which females develop from fertilized (diploid) eggs and males from unfertilized (haploid) ones.
- ‘The most common mode of haplodiploid reproduction is arrhenotoky where males develop from unfertilized haploid eggs and females from fertilized diploid eggs.’
- ‘However, results for X-linked loci are also generally applicable to any haplodiploid genetic system.’
- ‘The honeybee, like other hymenopteran species, is characterized by a haplodiploid system of reproduction.’
- ‘Easypop can simulate haploid, diploid, or haplodiploid organisms.’
- ‘Haploid development results in production of male progeny in the haplodiploid Nasonia but is lethal in mosquitoes and Drosophila.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.