One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A virus of a genus carried by rodents and causing various febrile haemorrhagic diseases, often with kidney damage or failure.
- ‘Mammals are the most common reservoirs of zoonotic disease, and rodents play the leading role, implicated in the spread of plague, Lyme disease, hantavirus and Rocky Mountain spotted fever.’
- ‘Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome was first recognized as a hantavirus disease in 1993 and is a disease of the Americas.’
- ‘Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is associated with higher mortality than HFRS, was first recognized as a hantavirus disease in 1993, and occurs within the American continents.’
- ‘This hantavirus, a member of the Bunyaviridae family of RNA viruses, is transmitted by its reservoir host Peromyscus maniculatus, the deer mouse.’
- ‘The molecular techniques will include primers that can identify Thottapalayam virus, the only hantavirus isolate from India.’
1980s: from Hantaan (the name of a river in Korea where the virus was first isolated) + virus.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.