One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A valley which is cut across by a deeper valley or a cliff.
- ‘Mature alpine landscapes exhibit many of the ‘classic’ features of glaciation, including troughs, hanging valleys, truncated spurs, and narrow arêtes rising to narrow rock peaks.’
- ‘Milford Sound is a 13-mile-long fiord decorated by glaciated hanging valleys, many ‘bridal-veil’ falls and the snowcapped, 5560-foot Mitre Peak, a region hard to surpass for its natural beauty.’
- ‘When it rains here, waterfalls pour off hanging valleys, and the muddy river tears into its banks and dumps loads of sediment at each bend.’
- ‘Seventeen feet below lay the floor of a northern river system, complete with hanging valleys caused by its sheer walled tributaries.’
- ‘The waterfall descends from a hanging valley to strike a perfect yellow sand beach in a perfect cove with perfect azur-blue water.’
- ‘On the first day, they walked five to six miles before pitching their tent in the picturesque hanging valley at Styhead Tarn, situated half way up Great Gable.’
- ‘It was steep going into a hanging valley, and then level again.’
- ‘The half-pipe is like a mini hanging valley, a 140 metre-long, 17 metre-wide semi-circular trough with a gradient of approximately 16-18 degrees.’
- ‘One loses one's sense of scale, until a bird, or helicopter even, flies past a waterfall and disappears after moments into one of the many tributary hanging valleys.’
- ‘Immediately to the south is Coire an Dubh Lochain with its archetypal hanging valley tarn.’
- ‘Aeons ago, rivers of ice carved out the unforgettable landforms - knife-edge ridges, hanging valley, and towering peaks, every view a visual aria.’
- ‘The highest mountains were cloaked in mantles of snow and ice with glaciers perched in the hanging valleys as though suspended by some invisible thread from the summits.’
- ‘Marvel at plunging waterfalls, hanging valleys and secluded beaches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.