Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A valley which is cut across by a deeper valley or a cliff.
- ‘When it rains here, waterfalls pour off hanging valleys, and the muddy river tears into its banks and dumps loads of sediment at each bend.’
- ‘Seventeen feet below lay the floor of a northern river system, complete with hanging valleys caused by its sheer walled tributaries.’
- ‘Mature alpine landscapes exhibit many of the ‘classic’ features of glaciation, including troughs, hanging valleys, truncated spurs, and narrow arêtes rising to narrow rock peaks.’
- ‘The highest mountains were cloaked in mantles of snow and ice with glaciers perched in the hanging valleys as though suspended by some invisible thread from the summits.’
- ‘Immediately to the south is Coire an Dubh Lochain with its archetypal hanging valley tarn.’
- ‘It was steep going into a hanging valley, and then level again.’
- ‘Marvel at plunging waterfalls, hanging valleys and secluded beaches.’
- ‘On the first day, they walked five to six miles before pitching their tent in the picturesque hanging valley at Styhead Tarn, situated half way up Great Gable.’
- ‘Aeons ago, rivers of ice carved out the unforgettable landforms - knife-edge ridges, hanging valley, and towering peaks, every view a visual aria.’
- ‘One loses one's sense of scale, until a bird, or helicopter even, flies past a waterfall and disappears after moments into one of the many tributary hanging valleys.’
- ‘The half-pipe is like a mini hanging valley, a 140 metre-long, 17 metre-wide semi-circular trough with a gradient of approximately 16-18 degrees.’
- ‘Milford Sound is a 13-mile-long fiord decorated by glaciated hanging valleys, many ‘bridal-veil’ falls and the snowcapped, 5560-foot Mitre Peak, a region hard to surpass for its natural beauty.’
- ‘The waterfall descends from a hanging valley to strike a perfect yellow sand beach in a perfect cove with perfect azur-blue water.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.