One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A basket or similar container which can be suspended from a building by a small rope or chain and in which decorative flowering plants are grown.
- ‘This is the typically small area to be found in front of terraced houses built a hundred or so years ago but there is room for a flower bed and plenty of space for a hanging basket and a container by the front door.’
- ‘Then try growing creeping pineapple sage with smaller leaves and sprawling tendencies that make it well suited to growing in a hanging basket.’
- ‘The doors lead into a peaceful inner garden courtyard where hanging baskets and potted plants frame a square of lawn.’
- ‘This talk signals a wonderful opportunity to improve your garden and your shop fronts with window boxes and hanging baskets.’
- ‘Babylons thrive in full sun and heat and are ideal for sunny garden beds, hanging baskets or planters.’
- ‘Plant up patio containers, hanging baskets and window boxes.’
- ‘Tubs of flowers, hanging baskets and window boxes, where presented, also looked extremely well.’
- ‘Any garden where sun is at a premium should be host to a host of them, whether in the garden bed, containers or hanging baskets.’
- ‘They praised the street planters, hanging baskets and flower bed displays which enhanced the town throughout the summer months.’
- ‘Move outdoor containers and hanging baskets to a single location near a water source and ask a neighbor to stop by twice a week to water them.’
- ‘Martin gave the ladies plenty of advice on bedding plants, hanging baskets and window boxes.’
- ‘What does this mean for an aspiring fuchsia gardener who wants to grow some in a hanging basket?’
- ‘On a balcony or patio, they can be trained up a pillar or grown in containers and hanging baskets.’
- ‘There was plenty of seating and some bins, attractive hanging baskets and flowering plants.’
- ‘The judges commended colourful hanging baskets and flower pots at businesses in Addingham.’
- ‘Window boxes and hanging baskets can add so much to the appearance of a building but they do require care and especially watering.’
- ‘There's nothing to stop you growing something in a hanging basket or in a container in your conservatory, or out on the patio.’
- ‘The problem can be solved by growing the peppermints and spearmints in hanging baskets near the garden.’
- ‘People are also encouraged to put in flowering window boxes, hanging baskets etc to brighten up the village with some colour.’
- ‘Thank you to all in Hacketstown who displayed window boxes of flowers and hanging baskets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.