One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A basket or similar container which can be suspended from a building by a small rope or chain and in which decorative flowering plants are grown.
- ‘This talk signals a wonderful opportunity to improve your garden and your shop fronts with window boxes and hanging baskets.’
- ‘Any garden where sun is at a premium should be host to a host of them, whether in the garden bed, containers or hanging baskets.’
- ‘Plant up patio containers, hanging baskets and window boxes.’
- ‘Then try growing creeping pineapple sage with smaller leaves and sprawling tendencies that make it well suited to growing in a hanging basket.’
- ‘Move outdoor containers and hanging baskets to a single location near a water source and ask a neighbor to stop by twice a week to water them.’
- ‘Window boxes and hanging baskets can add so much to the appearance of a building but they do require care and especially watering.’
- ‘Babylons thrive in full sun and heat and are ideal for sunny garden beds, hanging baskets or planters.’
- ‘Martin gave the ladies plenty of advice on bedding plants, hanging baskets and window boxes.’
- ‘There's nothing to stop you growing something in a hanging basket or in a container in your conservatory, or out on the patio.’
- ‘The doors lead into a peaceful inner garden courtyard where hanging baskets and potted plants frame a square of lawn.’
- ‘Thank you to all in Hacketstown who displayed window boxes of flowers and hanging baskets.’
- ‘Tubs of flowers, hanging baskets and window boxes, where presented, also looked extremely well.’
- ‘They praised the street planters, hanging baskets and flower bed displays which enhanced the town throughout the summer months.’
- ‘The judges commended colourful hanging baskets and flower pots at businesses in Addingham.’
- ‘This is the typically small area to be found in front of terraced houses built a hundred or so years ago but there is room for a flower bed and plenty of space for a hanging basket and a container by the front door.’
- ‘People are also encouraged to put in flowering window boxes, hanging baskets etc to brighten up the village with some colour.’
- ‘There was plenty of seating and some bins, attractive hanging baskets and flowering plants.’
- ‘The problem can be solved by growing the peppermints and spearmints in hanging baskets near the garden.’
- ‘What does this mean for an aspiring fuchsia gardener who wants to grow some in a hanging basket?’
- ‘On a balcony or patio, they can be trained up a pillar or grown in containers and hanging baskets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.