Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Delay or be delayed in taking action or progressing:‘a near agreement was hanging fire because of the concerns of some provinces’
delay, hang back, hold back, hold on, stall, stop, pause, cease, halt, discontinue, procrastinate, vacillate, adopt fabian tacticshang about, hang around, sit tight, hold one's horsesView synonyms
- ‘Orkney Tourist Board are hanging fire before committing £72,000 to a new tourism project, until they're sure their money will be well spent.’
- ‘She said: ‘People have been hanging fire from the outset of the disease to see what happens and because of the outbreak here it's not picking up.’’
- ‘‘It's a strange situation, we haven't seen what we are looking for yet and with Andy unsure of his decision we may hang fire,’ said Barrow.’
- ‘Two years ago the District Auditor had warned the council that they must get rid of surplus places, but they had hung fire, because of good schools like Newland, and the upheaval caused to children and staff.’
- ‘The international airport project has been hanging fire for the last 10 years, caught in a maze of controversies, suspicions, hurdles and delays.’
- ‘If clubs can see that a new manager is not going to be able to go to the transfer market straight away they may hang fire on getting rid of the old boss.’
- ‘For want of a public debate, key projects are still hanging fire.’
- ‘We'll keep on looking but may have to hang fire until next week.’
- ‘Given the obvious dangers of reading too much into such sales, it would only seem prudent for the Bank of England to hang fire on any rates changes until some sense has been restored to the overall retail picture.’
- ‘I think everyone is hanging fire to see what happens.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.