Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Written with a pen, pencil, or other handheld implement.‘the CV should be typed, not handwritten’‘a handwritten note’
- ‘Write a few handwritten words in blue ink or on a stick-on note on the front page of the newsletter.’
- ‘The public is invited to watch works-in-progress and submit handwritten comments.’
- ‘Isn't the legal strength of a petition based on handwritten signatures?’
- ‘There were the original handwritten entries at the time events happened.’
- ‘The den is where the music legend practiced and kept a handwritten log of his recordings.’
- ‘All articles should be neatly typed; we cannot accept handwritten contributions.’
- ‘The letter, which was handwritten and had no return address, was sent to an FBI lab in Miami for testing.’
- ‘They raided the safe for cash and left two handwritten notes.’
- ‘You wrote a short handwritten note, which explained to me how, where and when to deliver the feedback to the external examiner.’
- ‘I wrote to the address given and received a very polite handwritten letter in reply.’
- ‘Particularly memorable was a handwritten letter of Nehru's that I came across.’
- ‘The universal electronic signature will have the effect of a handwritten signature towards everyone.’
- ‘Honey climbed to the stage, clutching her handwritten speech and trembling all over.’
- ‘After school, with a few friends, he brought out a handwritten magazine titled Bharati.’
- ‘She too had spotted a handwritten advert of Tann's in June 2001, and had met him with her two children, Ms Laws said.’
- ‘Within hours, the walls were draped in art paper bearing handwritten tributes to Gavin.’
- ‘He had a stack of record cards that explained his work and at the bottom of each card a handwritten link to another card.’
- ‘There was also a small handwritten paper extolling the value of purdah - wearing the veil.’
- ‘I wrote him a handwritten note asking if he would be interested in working with me.’
- ‘For each song George provides a brief insight into his inspiration and shares his original, handwritten lyrics.’
- ‘The most he could do was provide us with a handwritten note that vouched for our honorable intentions.’
- ‘The handwritten account of his trial runs to just two pages.’
- ‘The handwritten message is scanned and sent to the destination and the letter is delivered just as a telegram.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.