One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pull of the sally of the rope so as to swing the bell through a full circle.Compare with backstroke
- ‘Thy hands should be touching each other on both the handstroke and the backstroke to ensure an even pull.’
- ‘You then follow this bell's handstroke with your backstroke and its backstroke with your handstroke.’
- ‘When a touch comes round at handstroke you need to call ‘That's all’ at the backstroke before.’
- ‘That's an interesting problem I didn't realize lefties also have handstrokes that are different.’
- ‘The funny part was he forgot the handstrokes and he was opening apps without hitting anything.’
- ‘The bell is held in this position until the other ringers have rung their handstroke as well.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.