One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An act of balancing on one's hands with one's feet in the air or against a wall.
- ‘They are doing handstands, cartwheels and back flips in San Diego for a team that was 1-15 last season.’
- ‘When you see physical strength and ability like that, it's really inspiring - it makes me want to do handstands and backflips.’
- ‘I tell my gymnast daughter not to do handstands on the settee, while remembering the times I did just that.’
- ‘We see one monk do a handstand balanced solely on his index fingers.’
- ‘Considering the twins were already doing handstands and backflips while blindfolded on the top of a revolving 16-metre high wheel of death, it's difficult to imagine how the Russians might have gone one better.’
- ‘They spin on their heads, do back flips, handstands and capoiera moves.’
- ‘Ikeda, who won the gold medal on balance beam at the 1954 World Gymnastics Championships, amazed the audience by performing a handstand after mounting the podium to accept her award.’
- ‘On bars, I have to make sure the handstands are perfect.’
- ‘She had to do cartwheels and handstands, but was perfect.’
- ‘He feels like he is caught in a permanent handstand, feet to the heavens, hands to the earth, swinging free.’
- ‘She did everything, but on one of the handstands she was short and they devalued it.’
- ‘One of the instructors then broke into a flurry of breaking moves that included vault-like leg swinging and inverted human pretzel handstands to make a gymnast blush.’
- ‘After a year attending classes at the Montreal circus school, Corinne was doing wheelies on a unicycle and holding handstands.’
- ‘You are astonished to discover the man can do cartwheels, handstands and back flips.’
- ‘I had discovered that I could kick up without fear, and I loved the feeling of flying up against the wall into a handstand.’
- ‘I've been a gymnast since I can remember and I've been doing random handstands since before I was a gymnast.’
- ‘This action is key for pushing movements in the shot put, the press-up to a handstand in gymnastics, pushing in football and the final push-off to clear the bar in the pole vault.’
- ‘Well I was fairly reserved; my mum was super excited and I was internally, so it wasn't like I was jumping around doing handstands or using the trampoline or anything like that.’
- ‘These range from the not-so-simple cartwheels and handstands, to the sinew-stretching Pyramid Formations and Basket Tosses.’
- ‘Chen, who is now playing elder sister to many of her younger classmates, has already accustomed herself to the endless backward somersaults, handstands and horse vaults.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.