Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A jump through the air on to one's hands followed by another on to one's feet.‘she turned handsprings, one after the other’
- ‘Sun Xiaojiao of China earned the day's high score, with a routine that included a one-arm back handspring, back handspring, layout to two feet.’
- ‘Sarah effortlessly did three front handsprings in a row before landing on her feet and flying down the rugged path through the forest.’
- ‘Though Dmitry Kasperovich is suffering from an injured leg, he continued vaulting until he successfully completed a handspring double front-half and Tsukahara double back.’
- ‘In the vault, for instance, she performed the Tsukahara, a sideways handspring with back somersault which, until recently, was only ever executed by the men.’
- ‘Maria Teresa Gargano performed consecutive one-armed back handsprings on beam, but missed her tucked full on that event.’
- ‘Instead, I composed myself and did a handspring into a one-handed cartwheel.’
- ‘However, the front handspring went awry, resulting in a 1 1/4 front to her collarbone.’
- ‘Some are performing backflips and handsprings in the shade; others are stretching one by one the kind of shoulder muscles that have their own shoulder muscles.’
- ‘Even if your past doesn't include standing back tucks, handsprings and split jumps, they can be part of your future.’
- ‘Uzbekistan's Oksana Chusovitina, who is scheduled to compete in Wednesday's vault event final, trained a handspring, tucked full-twisting front.’
- ‘Danielle landed perfectly from a series of back handsprings along the trampoline strip.’
- ‘Zamolodchikova worked aggressively on balance beam in her trademark style, adding a new full-twisting back handspring, back handspring, layout stepout, and back tuck to Rulfova.’
- ‘Rice said she felt the vault was extremely suitable for the Yurchenko-style vaults, where the gymnast does a round-off onto the board and a back handspring onto the horse.’
- ‘He then spun into another sweep, and kicked my left foot out from underneath me. sensing that I was falling, I put both my hands down, and jumped into a back handspring.’
- ‘Cuba's Roche did a ‘two and a half handspring, ‘the first time ever this vault has been done at an official competition.’’
- ‘When I was blasted off my feet, I put my hands up and did a handspring forward so I wouldn't get knocked down.’
- ‘I could have done handsprings and cartwheels down the aisles without hitting anybody.’
- ‘Blanik, who finished third on the event at the 2000 Olympics and second at the 2002 Worlds, scored a 9.875 in Glasgow for his piked handspring double front.’
- ‘Sirobaba fell on an Arabian double front and 2 1/2 punch front during her routine, but later repeated the Arabian double front and also stuck a front handspring, double front.’
- ‘I was on the TumbleTrak and I was like, ‘I wonder if I can do a back handspring on my head?’’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.