A wooden rod with an iron tip, used as a lever on board ship and by artillery soldiers.
crowbar, bar, handspike, jemmyView synonyms
- ‘Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum.’
- ‘With the handspike socketed in the eyebolts, lifting the trail and laying the gun was easy.’
- ‘The gun-carriage is rolled forward into firing position by handspikes or block and tackle.’
- ‘The top plate is moveable in the second direction by the second handspike pushing the top plate.’
- ‘They swept through the ship with handspikes and hatchets moving with the fury of desperate men.’