One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Character and behaviour are more important than appearance.
- ‘If handsome is as handsome does, in this case handsome does very well indeed.’
- ‘He's a handsome man, not as handsome perhaps as my real father but handsome is as handsome does and this man is no philanderer, he cherishes Mother.’
- ‘"Handsome is as handsome does, sweetheart," she pleaded, interceding for the orphan with arms that were still beautiful.’
- ‘Blandford resident Sue Joyal and her stallion, WBM's Commodore, prove handsome is as handsome does.’
- ‘He didn't look overly impressive when beating Straw Bear at Sandown last month but handsome is as handsome does and Philip Hobbs’ grey still got the job done.’
- ‘It’s a very handsome looking camera but, as the saying goes, handsome is as handsome does.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.