One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Character and behaviour are more important than appearance.
- ‘He didn't look overly impressive when beating Straw Bear at Sandown last month but handsome is as handsome does and Philip Hobbs’ grey still got the job done.’
- ‘He's a handsome man, not as handsome perhaps as my real father but handsome is as handsome does and this man is no philanderer, he cherishes Mother.’
- ‘It’s a very handsome looking camera but, as the saying goes, handsome is as handsome does.’
- ‘If handsome is as handsome does, in this case handsome does very well indeed.’
- ‘Blandford resident Sue Joyal and her stallion, WBM's Commodore, prove handsome is as handsome does.’
- ‘"Handsome is as handsome does, sweetheart," she pleaded, interceding for the orphan with arms that were still beautiful.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.