One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of a telephone) designed to be operated without using the hands.
- ‘Sound is provided by a Bose speaker system, and the standard mobile hands-free telephone is mounted in the centre armrest.’
- ‘Hands-free phones seemed to offer no safety advantage over hand held phones, though few drivers had hands-free phones.’
- ‘The customer's new office is intended to be a small call center, so hands-free phone operation is a big benefit.’
- ‘She was perched on her sofa, talking on her hands-free phone, on a day that would change her life forever.’
- ‘Portugal and some other countries have even banned voice-operated hands-free phones.’
- ‘Even hands-free phones posed a danger, according to the report.’
- ‘He was the man who invented the Kiwi-made, hands-free phone kit for the bicycle, which was a remarkable affair.’
- ‘But the use of hands-free phones will be permitted as will the use of mobile phones by passengers.’
- ‘Echo plugs are plugged into the hands-free jacks of wireless telephones to facilitate testing.’
- ‘Figures were the same for a driver using a hand-held or hands-free phone and likelihood of a crash held true regardless of gender or age.’
- ‘Users of hands-free phones still risk prosecution for failing to keep proper control of their vehicle or for driving carelessly or recklessly.’
- ‘Specification is high and includes voice commands for major functions, such as the hands-free phone and CD player.’
- ‘Other specialists believe that using a hands-free phone while driving is no more dangerous than smoking or tuning your car radio.’
- ‘This generic hands-free phone adapter is said to fit all makes and models.’
- ‘Laws requiring hands-free phones in automobiles are speeding the adoption of Bluetooth.’
- ‘The key question, however, is this: is using a hands-free phone any different?’
- ‘The next day, on the way back to the garage, I received a call on the hands-free phone from the tracker company.’
- ‘And within a minute, the hands-free phone rings and a woman with a kindly and reassuring voice is asking me what it is that I desire.’
- ‘When hands-free phones were invented I rejoiced - no longer would onlookers spying my muttering think me an insane person.’
- ‘There are many ways in which you can fit a Bluetooth hands-free phone kit in your car and link it to your stereo system.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.