Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rail fixed to posts or a wall for people to hold on to for support:‘the safest bathroom design includes handrails and grab bars in the bathtub and shower’
- ‘And I can't stand those people who lean on the pole so that you can't hold onto it - its not a leaning post, its a handrail.’
- ‘Before I could reply, the shuttle jerked into motion, and I grabbed onto the handrail for support.’
- ‘All cabin windows are trimmed in teak as well as teak cap rails, handrails and teak overlaid decks.’
- ‘It nearly gave out beneath him, but he gritted his teeth and slowly inched his way down the stairs, using the handrails for support.’
- ‘That includes everything from walls, ledges, gaps, handrails, stairs and embankments, to rooftops.’
- ‘Baroness Thatcher, dressed all in black, looked frail as she clasped the handrail for support before being driven away.’
- ‘The bird hopped from one perch to the next, calmly inspecting the passing walls and handrails.’
- ‘They include access paths, handrails, allocated spaces, ramps and boarding devices.’
- ‘Glass balustrades support stainless steel handrails and slatted panels extend into the gap between deck and cladding.’
- ‘Teak handrails are supported on sheets of toughened glass as balusters.’
- ‘Workers say that handrails and temporary supports were removed from the site two hours too early.’
- ‘Two sides had handrails and posts for tying off reins.’
- ‘Occasionally there are fixed ropes and handrails which mark the way.’
- ‘In a hotel situation, a guest, or someone else, brings in the virus which is then passed from person to person and from persons to items such as handrails, wall curtains and toilets.’
- ‘In effect, they are speed bumps for your walls, handrails, curbs, etc.’
- ‘They were pinned to the handrails posts and entrance features to the viaduct.’
- ‘I once fell and pulled the handrail off the wall.’
- ‘Consider installing support handrails to make your tub safer, especially if the framing is exposed.’
- ‘A similar fitting is used on the intermediate newel posts, then the handrail is attached between these fittings.’
- ‘The stairs are finished with a teak handrail, newel posts, and spindles.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.