Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Made by hand, not by machine, and typically therefore of superior quality:‘his expensive handmade leather shoes’
- ‘The charity was delighted and presented Trident with a handmade bowl which now has pride of place in the company's meeting room.’
- ‘After arranging them on boards with handmade paper and acrylic paint, she seals them with layers of lacquer.’
- ‘The slipcover is also handmade and had to be folded and glued exactly.’
- ‘My silhouette was handmade, signed by the artist, and a work of traditional craft.’
- ‘Shoes were also handmade and came from only two stores, Feney's or Acropolis shoes.’
- ‘The handmade quality allows Trek to offer customers a lifetime warranty on its frames.’
- ‘Even with its size, it retains a sense of delicacy, a handmade quality that creeps out of its obsessive folds.’
- ‘Every year he went there for his wardrobe, ordering several suits and pairs of handmade shoes.’
- ‘One of the students gave Rani handmade jewellery while others gifted her handmade candles and a card signed by all.’
- ‘There is, of course, the question of cost, for industrial wine is cheaper to produce than handmade wine.’
- ‘His mother sewed his clothes while he was young and knitted socks giving him a handmade pair for his birthday for many years.’
- ‘As the first new born of 2004, Nisheka cashed in with a teddy bear, handmade quilt and clothes.’
- ‘Still, the handmade quality of the welded assemblies may be the most lingering image.’
- ‘You can buy dolls there from a range of beautiful handmade dolls, and designer dolls' clothes.’
- ‘The Coffin Cover combines a cardboard coffin interior with a removable traditional handmade wooden exterior.’
- ‘Mitchinson was wearing a handmade corduroy suit, handmade shoes by Ducker's of Oxford, a cashmere polo neck.’
- ‘Some of the attractive items on display at the Rajasthani counter include paintings on handmade paper.’
- ‘The installation is made from handmade silkscreen prints, neriage porcelain and tissue paper.’
- ‘Every street has independent shoe shops with handmade Italian shoes at amazing prices.’
- ‘Each of Anand's pieces is individually handcrafted using wood-free handmade paper.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.