Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A manually operated loom.
- ‘Sally, 59, now heads the Women Weave Charitable Trust with a mission to popularise Indian handloom.’
- ‘Similarly, we will take all effective measures possible for the rejuvenation of our traditional industries such as coir, cashew, handloom, fisheries, khadi and so on.’
- ‘The Livesey Collection includes a table constructed from his original handloom.’
- ‘On the other hand, handloom is a traditional industry now finding new markets.’
- ‘Meantime traditional businesses, handloom, fishing, small scale industries, are suffering being unable to cope with the highly competitive modern industry.’
- ‘Of course a hand loom is a machine, it's just more low-tech.’
- ‘These mills had closed by the 1850's and the handloom had all but vanished.’
- ‘The last place where a handloom was used was a certain old-fashioned roadside cottage in Ronnag, above the Curragh Vreeshey.’
- ‘The other interested party in the fate of handloom is the banya, whose motives are commercially driven and exploitative.’
- ‘This wonderful place located just off Hosur Road, with its exclusive, hand-woven soft furnishings in pure cotton will transform your attitude towards all things made by handloom.’
- ‘The workers in the conventional small industries sector such as coir and handloom face an uncertain future thanks to the globalisation policies.’
- ‘Sri Lanka has a vibrant textile industry, with a lot of textile production being done at home on hand looms by women.’
- ‘It is considered necessary for that number of people "and the artisan" working with their own tools or handloom."’
- ‘They have paid no dues, done no time, served no apprenticeship of lonely toil on pop's equivalent of the handloom.’
- ‘In the case at hand, a handloom owned by one Rinku Sharma was destroyed in a fire in 2003.’
- ‘The way of life changed - as powered weaving was introduced, the putting-out system died and with it, the cottage handloom.’
- ‘A special discount of 25 per cent is being offered on products made by handloom.’
- ‘Another district that is famed for products using the handloom is Kannur.’
- ‘The handloom was still being used, but under supervision of what was called the " Master Weaver ".’
- ‘The pattern in a piece of cloth made by machine is as much an object of design as the pattern from cloth produced by a hand loom.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.