One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A manually operated loom.
- ‘A special discount of 25 per cent is being offered on products made by handloom.’
- ‘On the other hand, handloom is a traditional industry now finding new markets.’
- ‘It is considered necessary for that number of people "and the artisan" working with their own tools or handloom."’
- ‘Of course a hand loom is a machine, it's just more low-tech.’
- ‘The last place where a handloom was used was a certain old-fashioned roadside cottage in Ronnag, above the Curragh Vreeshey.’
- ‘They have paid no dues, done no time, served no apprenticeship of lonely toil on pop's equivalent of the handloom.’
- ‘Another district that is famed for products using the handloom is Kannur.’
- ‘The handloom was still being used, but under supervision of what was called the " Master Weaver ".’
- ‘The pattern in a piece of cloth made by machine is as much an object of design as the pattern from cloth produced by a hand loom.’
- ‘Sri Lanka has a vibrant textile industry, with a lot of textile production being done at home on hand looms by women.’
- ‘Sally, 59, now heads the Women Weave Charitable Trust with a mission to popularise Indian handloom.’
- ‘In the case at hand, a handloom owned by one Rinku Sharma was destroyed in a fire in 2003.’
- ‘The Livesey Collection includes a table constructed from his original handloom.’
- ‘These mills had closed by the 1850's and the handloom had all but vanished.’
- ‘The workers in the conventional small industries sector such as coir and handloom face an uncertain future thanks to the globalisation policies.’
- ‘Similarly, we will take all effective measures possible for the rejuvenation of our traditional industries such as coir, cashew, handloom, fisheries, khadi and so on.’
- ‘The way of life changed - as powered weaving was introduced, the putting-out system died and with it, the cottage handloom.’
- ‘This wonderful place located just off Hosur Road, with its exclusive, hand-woven soft furnishings in pure cotton will transform your attitude towards all things made by handloom.’
- ‘The other interested party in the fate of handloom is the banya, whose motives are commercially driven and exploitative.’
- ‘Meantime traditional businesses, handloom, fishing, small scale industries, are suffering being unable to cope with the highly competitive modern industry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.