Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A short list of something such as items on display at a sale or exhibition or essential reading for a course of study.‘‘Record Repositories in Great Britain’ is a useful handlist’
- ‘These yearly handlists will include letters written by Lawrence and letters received by him for which texts are known to be extant.’
- ‘These handlists also outline how to request material from the collections, both of which are housed in a Library store building.’
- ‘It is possible to search and browse catalogued sub-collections, and to browse handlists of manuscripts and map holdings at www.johnson-marshall.lib.ed.ac.uk’
- ‘This volume was still in print at the time this handlist was published.’
- ‘There is no system of cross reference, but handlists for both groups of papers may be searched electronically.’
- ‘The following leaflets & handlists are available to purchase from the Record Office.’
- ‘The existing hard-copy handlists to the Muniments Collection are being incorporated into a new CALM database which is in preparation.’
- ‘A clickable electronic version of this handlist is at: http: / / www.york.ac.uk/teaching/history/pjpg / Medievaldiss.htm’
- ‘The Special Collections Library has begun mounting selected finding aids and handlists on the Web, representing only a small portion of the processed collections.’
- ‘Copies of handlists are also held at the National Register of Archives.’
- ‘Thirty-six unpublished handlists for the period 1795-c1900 are available in the Special Collections Reading Room in SOAS Library, and include both LMS and Commonwealth Missionary Society material.’
- ‘We have a number of handlists which detail the records held by Brighton History Centre.’
- ‘The library also has published catalogues and handlists that are available for sale.’
- ‘In addition to the main catalogue, a number of useful handlists can also be downloaded from this site; these finding aids break the manuscript collection into useful categories for quick searches.’
- ‘Yet the handlists are valuable in their own right, and the editors of the earlier volumes have established a high level of accuracy and comprehensiveness.’
- ‘Available from The David Brown Book Company, The Archaeology of Heinrich Schliemann includes an introductory essay, a fully annotated handlist of Schliemann's works, and an annotated list of bibliography and references.’
- ‘There are 2 handlists available for browsing.’
- ‘Faced with increasing backlogs of unprocessed material, it has made available a handlist of categories of documents that it still holds for the period before 1970, with their approximate quantities in shelf-feet.’
- ‘There is material described in this handlist that is not yet covered by the Traditional Drama Research Group database, in particular correspondence and papers relating to Helm's publications and lectures.’
- ‘Critical in the process was the discovery in the Pitt Rivers Museum Manuscripts Collection of the original handlists of negative rolls and film packs that Chapman compiled whilst in Lhasa.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.