Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for dove tree
- ‘Visitors to the garden will be able to wander around the two lawns, a woodland area at the top of the garden and see around 30 to 40 different types of plants and trees, including fabulous bamboo grasses, Australian and New Zealand tree ferns, handkerchief trees, rhododendrons and perennials.’
- ‘It is called the handkerchief tree because of the large, curiously shaped white flowers but, like whitethorn, it is a long-term investment.’
- ‘The small flowers do not depend on petals to advertise themselves but instead exhibit two large white drooping bracts in May, giving the appearance of nesting doves (to some); others, who use the name handkerchief tree, are reminded of laundry hanging on the line.’
- ‘Highlights included the laburnum arch in full flower, the handkerchief trees and the Chilean firethorn.’
- ‘The dove or handkerchief trees are certainly among the crown jewels of the arboretum and the Park is blessed with five of them.’
- ‘We did see the odd handkerchief tree in the courtyard whose white bracts make it look as if someone has tied a thousand large white handkerchiefs to its branches.’
- ‘We also have the biggest handkerchief tree in the country, which takes its name from its distinctive blossom, which is also out at the moment.’
- ‘Davidia involucrata is commonly called the ‘handkerchief tree ‘or the ‘dove tree‘.’
- ‘It is the handkerchief tree par excellence, the large rounded crowns being covered with evenly spaced handkerchieves of white at frequent intervals.’
- ‘It is the bracts that give the tree its common names of dove tree, ghost tree, and handkerchief tree.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.