One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hemline on a skirt or dress formed by panels of fabric which fall in points resembling the corners of a handkerchief.‘a handkerchief hem pulls the focus away from the hips and thighs, elongating the bottom half of the body’
- ‘The brand once famous for its chenille ruffles and handkerchief hems has had a sharp new makeover.’
- ‘Long skirts with a handkerchief hem work well for tall, pear shaped women.’
- ‘We'll see everything from cheeky handkerchief hems to classic A-line shapes, funky asymmetrical hemlines, sexy slit dresses, and even elegant ballerina skirts.’
- ‘She wore a black dress with spaghetti straps and a handkerchief hem.’
- ‘Balancing out the structured pieces are airy dresses with handkerchief hems in solids or radical colored prints.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.