Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A gun designed for use by one hand; a pistol.
pistol, revolver, gun, side arm, automatic pistol, six-shooter, thirty-eight, derringer, browning automaticpiece, shooting iron, saturday night special, rod, roscoecolt, webley, lugerView synonyms
- ‘So far, he had only ever used hunting guns such as shot guns or rifles, and handguns like the one his father kept with his new uniform.’
- ‘Five years after the sweeping 1998 ban on handguns, handgun crime had doubled.’
- ‘A vicar has been charged with firearm offences after a handgun and bullets were found in his home by police.’
- ‘Prohibited weapons handed in included seven handguns and two shotguns.’
- ‘From six long guns and a few handguns to dozens of long guns and dozens of handguns, you can find what you need.’
- ‘The plot was uncovered as the three set out on their mission armed with rifles, handguns, swords and knifes.’
- ‘Most gun injuries and deaths were caused by handguns, not shotguns and rifles, the seminar heard.’
- ‘Mostly light weapons such as assault rifles and handguns were destroyed.’
- ‘Shotguns and handguns may also have straps, but our present interest is the hunting rifle.’
- ‘A safe in the building was recently opened revealing sub-machine guns, handguns and listening devices.’
- ‘The photos in the different tactical articles show handguns and rifles in use.’
- ‘The reporter had a choice of fake handguns, pistols and revolvers on display in a glass case among books and small toys.’
- ‘The vast majority of my field and hunting handguns are single action revolvers.’
- ‘About halfway through the game guns show up - handguns, shotguns, and a few rifles.’
- ‘They went over to a spot on one wall where handguns and revolvers were set up.’
- ‘The gang was carrying a handgun, shotgun and an assortment of iron bars.’
- ‘It can serve as a shotgun, an accurate big bore rifle, a handgun, and even as a flare gun.’
- ‘They are available for most popular models of service handguns, revolvers and autos.’
- ‘You cannot address crime prevention without getting rid of assault weapons and handguns.’
- ‘It is stated that Australia banned ownership of most handguns and semiauto rifles.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.