One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tool held in the hand and operated without electricity or other power.
- ‘Mr. Kalam and another colleague scraped the payload with a small hand tool until it mated with the rocket.’
- ‘Red Cross centres are also running low on supplies, with shortages of water tanks, pumps, hoses, chainsaws and hand tools.’
- ‘Then, digging reluctantly into my pocket, I acquired an onion hoe - a hand tool with a half-moon shaped blade set vertically on the end.’
- ‘The Power Tool Drag Races are an annual series of attractions in San Francisco - machinists and hippies building drag racers powered by various hand tools and then racing them for fame, glory, and small cash prizes.’
- ‘They carried a single hand tool - a small pointed trowel, about 3x8‘; it was so flimsy that it needed to be replaced every few days.’’
- ‘Two drills and other hand tools were taken from a white transit van parked in Layer Road, Abberton.’
- ‘She said inside the blue Astra van, was a number of tools, including assorted paint brushes, scrapers, paint, tool belt with hand tools, masonry drill bits and tool box containing electrical test equipment.’
- ‘Use the end of a hand tool or a stick to tamp the soil until firm.’
- ‘Punches were used to stamp the fixed symbols such as notes and clefs on to a pewter plate, while the engraver continued to cut in the flexible signs, such as phrasing and note stems, with a hand tool.’
- ‘This is neither a drill nor any other type of rotary hand tool.’
- ‘If you have to use glass squares, then you can do this by using a glass cutting wheel hand tool to make the scores.’
- ‘In the 1980s, Leatherman marketed a multifunction hand tool called the Pocket Survival Tool.’
- ‘Once the floor is initially screeded (usually with a truss screed), the first hand tool in the superflat process is the saw beam (straightedge with handles).’
- ‘The stripper is simply a small hand tool that resembles a pair of cutting pliers.’
- ‘Hardware stores everywhere sell something called an edger - the hand tool you'll need if you want the kind of rounded edges you can see on sidewalks.’
- ‘Rural Shias are illiterate, and they are peasants, and they use primitive tools, hand tools to till the land.’
- ‘But a comparably high level of shock can be produced just by tapping with a hand tool such as a screwdriver, by knocking two drives together, or forcing a drive into its slot.’
- ‘The rescue team can use hand tools ranging from socket sets to screw drivers.’
- ‘He wants to build on the traditional goods but also add exports from India of sports goods, electrical fixtures, hand tools, car parts and others.’
- ‘Why struggle even for a moment with a piece of machinery when a non-polluting hand tool, which damages the soil structure far less than even the lightest tiller, will do?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.