One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Offer something to each of a number of people in turn.‘a big box of chocolates was handed round’
distribute, hand round, give out, give round, pass out, pass round, share out, dole out, dish out, deal out, mete out, issue, circulate, dispenseView synonyms
- ‘Once home, they placed it in a basket which they handed round with the port after dinner so that guests could pay their respects.’
- ‘Many a time you and Fraser mixed your dough and made your shapes to put in the oven and then handed them round for tasting, proud as punch.’
- ‘The petition process involves multiple steps with various twists, and the petition cases are handed around among various departments in a way that is incomprehensible to ordinary people.’
- ‘I did not buy a copy, indeed I did not know anyone who did, but it was handed around among my friends as something of a joke.’
- ‘About lunchtime there was more eating and chat and a few smoky barbecues lit up and bangers and burgers were handed around.’
- ‘Various products were handed round for all to try, smell etc., and many went home with very smooth hands from the sampling!’
- ‘Traditional sweets were handed round after the deal, as the convicted men and the relatives of their victims embraced each other.’
- ‘Or you could buy a box of Beecham's Pills, and hand them round.’
- ‘The sales just look low because we believe in handing books around.’
- ‘They are printing off the stories and handing them around to keep people informed over there.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.