One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Give something to a person in authority for their attention.‘we handed in a letter of protest’
put forward, present, set forth, offer, proffer, tender, advance, propose, suggest, volunteer, table, lodge, introduce, come up with, raise, air, mootView synonyms
- ‘In order to receive the said pizza, the Vets would just have to finish five book reports and hand them in to the proper authorities for inspection.’
- ‘The man was unaware of the concern he had caused and when he realised what had happened he handed the gun in voluntarily to the police.’
- ‘The letters were handed in along with a 3,000-signature petition calling for Interbrew to reverse its decision.’
- ‘You'll need to complete it and hand it in when registering.’
- ‘The silent walk of protest will take place on Sunday, January 5, starting at the Pro-Cathedral in Dublin at 2pm and ending at the Archbishop's Palace in Drumcondra, where the letter will be handed in.’
- ‘If you find your grandpa's old pistol in the loft you can hand it in to a Registered Firearms Dealer without penalty.’
- ‘Several people have handed the letters in to Gardaí, he told The Kingdom.’
- ‘The required CM29 form which notes a change in directorships of a company was handed in at the Registrar of Companies on April 3 this year.’
- ‘If you wish to submit any articles please hand them in to Thomas Keane before this date.’
- ‘Youngsters can submit their ideas on paper and should hand them in at the shop by December 24.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.