One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Give something to a person in authority for their attention.‘we handed in a letter of protest’
put forward, present, set forth, offer, proffer, tender, advance, propose, suggest, volunteer, table, lodge, introduce, come up with, raise, air, mootView synonyms
- ‘If you wish to submit any articles please hand them in to Thomas Keane before this date.’
- ‘The required CM29 form which notes a change in directorships of a company was handed in at the Registrar of Companies on April 3 this year.’
- ‘Youngsters can submit their ideas on paper and should hand them in at the shop by December 24.’
- ‘Several people have handed the letters in to Gardaí, he told The Kingdom.’
- ‘The letters were handed in along with a 3,000-signature petition calling for Interbrew to reverse its decision.’
- ‘The silent walk of protest will take place on Sunday, January 5, starting at the Pro-Cathedral in Dublin at 2pm and ending at the Archbishop's Palace in Drumcondra, where the letter will be handed in.’
- ‘The man was unaware of the concern he had caused and when he realised what had happened he handed the gun in voluntarily to the police.’
- ‘In order to receive the said pizza, the Vets would just have to finish five book reports and hand them in to the proper authorities for inspection.’
- ‘You'll need to complete it and hand it in when registering.’
- ‘If you find your grandpa's old pistol in the loft you can hand it in to a Registered Firearms Dealer without penalty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.