One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hand-thrown grenade.
- ‘Equipped with sniffer dogs and metal detectors, they found a sniper rifle, a hand grenade and supplies of ammunition.’
- ‘A teenager sparked a major bomb alert after he took a de-activated hand grenade into his school - to use as a prop for a drama lesson.’
- ‘In fact, ever since World War I, the most common type of bomb carried by a person has been the hand grenade.’
- ‘His blasting powders and fuses were also instrumental in the revival of the hand grenade shortly after his death.’
- ‘There is no cradling of the hand grenade in this household, because the hand grenade will look at you like What do you think I am, a baby?’
- ‘One unit that had taken this intrusive approach confiscated only an old pistol and one hand grenade after several weeks of work.’
- ‘Before me is a tall, heavily built youth in a red sweater, with a hand grenade and a Makarov pistol tucked in his leather belt.’
- ‘A high-school student pulled out a hand grenade and started waving it, and police fired into the air to disperse the crowd.’
- ‘Witnesses said American soldiers had fired on a crowd after a hand grenade was thrown at them.’
- ‘Police claim they found a rifle, ammunition and a hand grenade on the compound during their search on Thursday.’
- ‘Defence Ministry Secretary Austin Fernando claimed that a hand grenade had been set off as the police fired tear gas into the crowd.’
- ‘There are machine-guns, a hand grenade and a bazooka.’
- ‘Both of them were cleared of two charges alleging they were in possession of a hand grenade and a revolver.’
- ‘Officers eventually evacuated the building before the bomb squad arrived and removed the hand grenade, carrying out a controlled explosion elsewhere.’
- ‘On a counter in the apparent bomb factory were a disassembled hand grenade, rubber gloves and numerous bottles of chemicals.’
- ‘Two years ago Valencia's security firm honored her when she detected a toy hand grenade and two weeks later, a loaded handgun.’
- ‘Army bomb disposal experts were called in after a hand grenade was discovered near Hollymount, off the Lee Road.’
- ‘Another example would be the case of a soldier who shields his fellow officers from a live hand grenade by sacrificing his own body to the explosion.’
- ‘He was wounded by a hand grenade and a bullet and still led his unit to capture enemy positions.’
- ‘Of all things that can be used as a paperweight, the hand grenade is a poor choice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.