One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Written by hand with the letters separately formed.
- ‘This means that she can recognise hand-printed cards.’
- ‘Inside his thatched bungalow, Bradson read what had been photocopied from a hand-printed original.’
- ‘Although most of the text is typeset, there are many passages that are hand-written, and there are also proof-reading corrections hand-printed within the textual passages.’
- ‘The college had just given him an honorary luncheon for his eightieth birthday, which was in 1959, and he had presented them with a precious hand-printed book by William Blake.’
- ‘Griff sends me the hand-printed birth announcement he promised after I gave him some feedback on the design.’
2(of paper, fabric, etc.) printed by hand.
- ‘After going through a hand-printed silkscreen process, each individual piece of art is meticulously cut, glued, glittered and assembled, all by hand.’
- ‘The first winner is textile designer Ciaran Sweeney whose hand-printed silk and velour drapes and capes have become a favourite with President Mary McAleese, The Corrs and Moya Brennan of Clannad.’
- ‘The goodies displayed for sale at ‘Koodaram’ include tea - coasters, cushion and sofa covers, hand-printed sarees, wall - hangings and glass paintings.’
- ‘In Coimbatore, the most popular items are hand-printed textiles… the sarees with rich borders… and the clothes with zari embroidery done by hand.’
- ‘They have been doing fabrics and hand-printed wallpaper for centuries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.