Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Select carefully with a particular purpose in mind.‘a small hand-picked group of MPs’
specially chosen, specially selected, invited, screened, vettedchoice, elite, selectView synonyms
- ‘An ensemble hand-picked by lead singer and songwriter, Davo, the members were chosen based on their work ethic.’
- ‘He was recently hand-picked to co-ordinate the national response by Metropolitan police commissioner Sir John Stevens.’
- ‘And it's not an auspicious debut for Cohn, who was hand-picked by old pal editor John Carroll.’
- ‘It's as if someone hand-picked the most popular crowd from each school in town because confidence radiates from the kids in the room.’
- ‘Show host Mary Alice Haney hand-picked Childs last week from possible candidates working at the zoo.’
- ‘She was hand-picked by Crawford for one of the toughest jobs in the network.’
- ‘He was hand-picked for the job by transport secretary Stephen Byers.’
- ‘Just as Jesus hand-picked Simon and Jude for a specific purpose, so has he hand-picked us.’
- ‘The members of the court are hand-picked by Chief Justice William Rehnquist.’
- ‘John Negroponte, until recently Ambassador to UN in New York, has been hand-picked for the job.’
- ‘Did it all hinge on the creation of an all-powerful executive council, hand-picked by Fontaine to circumvent the chiefs?’
- ‘Each plant was hand-picked, with careful thought given to texture, shape and the colour of the foliage.’
- ‘I have no doubts that Ryan was hand-picked to go into the compound and will win just because he used to play professional football.’
- ‘The budding actors were hand-picked from hundreds of young hopefuls who auditioned for the parts at Kendal Town Hall earlier this year.’
- ‘Ironically it was Shier's own new hand-picked team of executives, imported at great expense, who voted him out!’
- ‘She will spend a week relaxing in the Californian sunshine with a select team of stylists hand-picked from across the globe.’
- ‘Aurene Martin has been serving as acting assistant secretary, hand-picked by Norton.’
- ‘The selectors have hand-picked those who have the right mentality, such as Damien Martyn and Simon Katich, ahead of the natural blasters.’
- ‘The company boasts of a workforce of over 200 hand-picked translators and a number of senior marketing staff with over eight years in the industry.’
- ‘A Clapham director who trained at Richmond's Orange Tree Theatre has been hand-picked to direct a play at London's Old Vic theatre.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.