One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Her delivery is mannered: grandstanding effects punctuated by hammily deadpan understatement and coyly rhetorical pauses emerging from a face cosmeticized into a comic mask.’
- ‘Bulldog was just stupid and hammily overplayed.’
- ‘Unfortunately, what Cecil offers seems little better - it's little more than an episodic series of hammily acted altercations between his shrill cast and various bemused multiplex employees and film producers.’
- ‘The Television Without Pity recapper seems to think the father is played too hammily, but I thought the point was to show a certain kind of father who intentionally hams it up, which I find endearing.’
- ‘Even when Bird ramps up the wattage, as on the hammily Beatle-esque ‘Opposite Day’ and the grandly theatrical ‘The Naming of Things,’ Eggs rarely causes a fuss.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.