One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A flat round cake of minced beef, fried or grilled and typically served in a bread roll garnished with various condiments.
- ‘This means that his diet consists primarily of steak and bacon and hamburgers without the buns.’
- ‘Jon threw some steaks and baked potatoes on the grill and a few hamburgers for the kids.’
- ‘But you can also serve it with grilled beef and hamburgers, and even chicken or pork.’
- ‘Long before the hamburger and the fried chicken, colonial circulation spawned a popular staple which Cairo made its own.’
- ‘We served hamburgers and hot dogs, we were grilling them around the clock, and had a cold drink concession.’
- ‘I guess my gourmandise runs deep, although in practice this meant I ate a lot of plain hamburgers at Burger King.’
- ‘Years ago, before Atkins diet was the rave, most food service folks would look at her cross-eyed when she asked them to hold the bread on a hamburger, or hold the croutons on a salad.’
- ‘What this basically means is that they serve hamburgers, tuna sandwiches, chicken wings and hot dogs in addition to the jerks, rotis and curries.’
- ‘Hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks on the grill, all the usual summer barbecue favorites.’
- ‘Pizza and hamburgers are popular occasional meals and often are served at fast-food restaurants.’
- ‘We turn to hamburgers, sausage pizza, French fries, candy bars and other foods high in fat, sugar and calories.’
- ‘Cut back on hamburgers, pizza, French fries, ice cream, and sweets.’
- ‘There is a wide array of culinary choices, including pizza, kebabs, falafel, hamburgers, and Chinese cuisine.’
- ‘On the Fourth of July, as I sat at Steve's house grilling hamburgers and hot dogs, my cell phone began to ring.’
- ‘With pizza outdistancing hamburgers and frankfurters in the race for the consumer dollar, pizza production is soaring.’
- ‘They butchered a steer and served hamburgers and steaks to the family.’
- ‘She makes good food for herself and Hillary, like pizza and hamburgers and cookies, while I get salads and fruit and water.’
- ‘Steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs and pork chops are usually grilled.’
- ‘Our menu will satisfy any hunger with options from hamburgers, pasta, seafood, steaks, and more.’
- ‘There will be a beer tent and the kitchen will be open offering hamburgers, boerewors rolls and curry and rice.’
- 1.1North American mass noun Minced beef.
- ‘Cow Z's body will be used for processed beef or hamburger.’
- ‘Use fresh lean hamburger; frozen beef can brown quickly and fool you into thinking it's cooked.’
- ‘In this case, the freezer does not store hamburger.’
- ‘In 1998, just over 51 percent of all beef imports consisted of trimmings and manufacturing grade beef which are ground into hamburger.’
- ‘Tell her your favorite meat is hamburger and stress your connections with the Texas beef producers?’
- ‘I could turn a big lump of cheap meat into short ribs, prime ribs, rib eyes, deckle steaks, and high-quality hamburger.’
- ‘This time we just had the whole animal made into hamburger.’
- ‘I know to use ground chuck instead of hamburger or even ground loin.’
Late 19th century (originally US): from German, from Hamburg.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.