One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sweet Indian dish consisting of carrots or semolina boiled with milk, almonds, sugar, butter, and cardamom.
- ‘They also liked rasam and Indian sweets and did full justice to items like carrot halwa.’
- ‘Desserts include rabri - a delectable confection of thickened, syrupy milk and pistachio-studded kesar halwa.’
- ‘Hence an attempt was made to use tender coconuts and kernels in desserts such as ice cream, kheer, fruit salad, pudding and halwa.’
- ‘Two desserts were available: malai kulfi and carrot halwa.’
- ‘One could choose from a range of halwas that included common ones such as Bombay halwa, Hyderabad halwa and beetroot halwa.’
From Arabic, literally ‘sweetmeat’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.